On this perfect it’s-almost-spring weekend, this little weekend lover:
- Attempted this, but subbed in cauliflower and bacon for the mortadella and changed just about everything else. They need a little work. More news on this later.
- Attempted an avocado pistachio pesto (because it is March and there is no basil for sale anywhere) then disappointingly ate it up with tortilla chips because it really does not deserve to be called pesto. It was just super weird guacamole.
- Made pi for pi day!!!!!! Except that it was actually a cake. But I put it in a pie pan and therefore it qualifies. It was the blueberry cornmeal cake from this place because Zoe put out a cookbook and shared all her sweet secrets.
- Caught up on all my farmy e-mails.
- Took the doggies for a super long run, celebrated by letting them play in the Sugar River, watched the pups get swept up by the current, almost had a panic attack, watched them climb to safety on an island, watched them get stuck on the island because they were too scared to get back in the water, and finally coxed them into crossing a very shallow, current-less area. Phew. Sigh of relief. Even just typing this made me relive those scared mommy emotions all over again.
- Ate half a box of Thin Mints.
- Kicked my Carrot husband’s butt at cribbage. Twice.
- Drank too much pomegranate-infused mead, got all crabby, went to bed early and woke up with a terrible headache.
- Ate the best french toast of my life (general instructions below) at my favorite little farm-to-table eatery.
- Met a new friend who is definitely a kindred spirit with all his sustainable homesteading entrepreneurship. Learned a bunch about alternative home structures, on-farm dinners, and Wisco Pop. He also told me about the dinner club of my dreams (that sadly no longer exists).
- Ate a second meal at my favorite little farm-to-table eatery. I work there on Sundays now. So I’m allowed to eat there twice in one day.
- Whined and pouted about the fact that both Mr. Carrot and I had to work both weekend mornings and didn’t get to cook one of our legendary weekend breakfasts. Then cooked up an epic biscuits & gravy dinner to make up for it.
- Found our dream farm. Regardless of whether or not now is the time to buy a dream farm.
I hope you too had a fabulous weekend!! Happy it’s-almost-Monday-so-stop-watching-House-of-Cards-and-go-to-bed!
Banana Bread French Toast
Adapted from a Chef Jared/Hallie creation
**I make my french toast batter with a ratio of 2 eggs to 1/4 cup of whole milk (or cream) followed by a generous amount of vanilla and cinnamon. Make up as much french toast batter as you like and just keep on dipping.
Banana bread, sliced 1-inch thick
French toast batter**
Chopped walnuts, toasted
Sliced bananas, optional
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Dip banana bread in french toast batter. Let soak for a moment. Remove banana bread from batter and place on a hot greased skillet. Cook on each side over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, until browned. Move browned pieces to a baking sheet. Continue frying up pieces until you run out of batter or banana bread or have made up as much as you like.
Place pan in preheated oven and bake for 5 minutes until cooked through.
Meanwhile, spread a generous amount of nutella over plates and toast walnuts. Add warm banana bread to “nutella-ed” plates. Top with maple syrup, walnuts, banana slices (if using) and powdered sugar. Eat warm. Immediately. And then definitely go back for seconds.
One Comment Add yours
Heyyy Leek! You are SOOOO cute! Love your writing style.. your personality shines right though :). Glad you like our Spread Happy journeyyyy! Whenever I make it to Wisconson, I’d be super happy with some of your french toast :).
ps… do you know Ben Linzmeier? https://www.facebook.com/ben.linzmeier?fref=ts
He’s in Wisconsin and I bet y’all would be fast friends 🙂